How to Fix COMCTL32.OCX File missing or Invalid for Windows10December 6, 2018
How to Fix the Error Code 0xc0000005 in Windows 10 [FIXED]December 13, 2018
Sometimes while sending an email, Outlook gives error code 20 with the following error message:
“Outlook is unable to connect to the proxy server (error code 20).”
It usually happens when Outlook is not able to connect properly with the proxy server. It is the most annoying error message you will see when you are using Microsoft Outlook. This error can be caused by many reasons which are explained below.
Solutions to fix the Outlook error code 20
You can try the below fixes to resolve the issue.
Fix 1: Correct the date and time configuration on your system
The very first thing is to check your date and time settings. If they are not set correctly, you need to here is how you can configure it in Windows 10.
- Click on Cortana button present on the taskbar. Now, type enter “Date & Time” in the search box.
- Click on “Date & Time Settings”. It will open up the settings window.
- Now switch off the “Set Time Automatically” setting to manually enter the date and time on your system.
- Now click on the “Change” button. A new window will open up and there you need to enter the correct date & time. Once done, click on the “Change” button.
Fix 2: Run a SFC scan
System File Checker (SFC) will fix any corrupted files on your computer or laptop.
- Go to Command Prompt (Admin) by clicking Win + X key.
- Enter the command “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” and press enter.
- Now type “sfc /scannow” and press the Enter key again.
- The scan will start automatically. Once it is complete, you can restart the system.
Fix 3: Perform a complete scan of your system
There is a possibility that error code 20 might pop up due to a virus or malware present in your system. Therefore, perform a deep scan using an antivirus software. If there are any virus detected, delete them and restart your system.
If you do not have any antivirus in your system, you can also use the Windows Defender which comes with Windows 10.
- Click on Cortana button present on the taskbar. Now, type enter “Windows Defender” in the search box.
- Once it opens up, click on the shield icon which is present on the left side of the window. It will open the scan options.
- Firstly, choose the option “Quick scan” and then “Full scan”.
- Click on “Scan now” to start the process and see the results for any virus.
Fix 4: Turn off your Windows Firewall
Check your Firewall settings and see that it is not blocking Microsoft Outlook from connecting to the server.
- Click on Cortana button present on the taskbar. Now, type enter “Windows Firewall” in the search box. Click on “Windows Firewall” from the search list to open it.
- Choose the option “Turn Windows Firewall on or off”. A new window will pop up on the screen.
- Now choose “Turn off Windows Firewall” option present on the screen. Then click OK.
- Now check if the error comes or not. If it doesn’t come up, then click the option “Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall”.
- Click on “Change Settings” button. Scroll down to Microsoft Outlook in the list and click the Outlook checkboxes.
- Click the OK button and then choose the option “Turn on Windows Firewall”. Click OK to confirm the changes.
Fix 5: Update the Device drivers on your system
- Go to Control Panel and reach Device Manager.
- Now expand the driver’s list and see if there are any outdated drivers having a yellow exclamation mark on it.
- Click on that particular driver and then Right click on it.
- Select the option “Update Driver”.
- Choose the option “Search automatically for updated driver software”.
Fix 6: Reinstall Microsoft Outlook
Uninstall MS Outlook from Control Panel. You can also it by pressing Win + R key and then typing ‘appwiz.cpl’ in the Run window. Then select Outlook and click on Uninstall button.
Once it done, install a fresh copy of Outlook on your system.
The above points will help you in using Outlook normally and resolving Outlook error code 20. So, what are your views on this? Do let us know in the comments below!